Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Columbia Adventure (Part 3-cont.)

Nikki and I are finally flying into Columbia, SC,on the first day of our journey to see her hubby graduate from boot camp at Fort Jackson. The sun was setting gloriously on the other side of the plane, when there it was…

Just beneath us…

As big as life…

A huge bright red neon sign shown the missing element of life…

The letters spelled out American itself…

I wiggled and jiggled in my seat, and woke up Nikki to show her. Yes, there is a God!

“Look, Nikki!” I poked her awake and pointed to the icon…

“LOOK! It’s a PIGGLY WIGGLY! A real PIGGLY WIGGLY, did you see it?” but, alas, she missed it.

It didn’t matter, I was in Piggly Wiggly heaven… Yes! The store with the really silly name still exists! Thank you! Thank you, God, and Clarence Saunders, who founded the first “self-service” Piggly Wiggly grocery store in Memphis, Tenn. in 1916.

Now, I am originally from the Midwest – Omaha, to be exact. I remember they had silly names like Piggly Wiggly for the supermarkets and drug stores there; I just can’t, for the life of me, remember the names. I am aware of Winn Dixie, but I think I’m safe to say they weren’t in Omaha. Porky Dorky? Pinky-Winky?… can’t remember.

(If anyone knows, please, please remind me!)

To be continued…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home